Sisters of Charity Federation Archives

Cornerstone, the House of Our Lady of Mercy

Item

SC Our Lady of Mercy Corner stone photograph 2.tif

Dublin Core

Title

Cornerstone, the House of Our Lady of Mercy

Subject

Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy, Motherhouse
Corner stones
Our Lady of Mercy Girls' Orphanage
Our Lady of Mercy Academy

Description

Engraved on Cornerstone: This corner stone of the House of our Lady of Mercy in the City of Charleston So. Ca. laid on the Feast of the Annunciation March 25th 1840 by the Right Rev. John England, D.D, Bishop of Charleston. Building Committee: Alexander McDonald: Charles Kanapaux & John Hunter; Patrick O'Donnell, Contractor; Patrick Noble; Governor of South Carolina; Henry L. Pinckney, Mayor of Charleson; Gregory XVI. Being Pope; Martin Van Buren, President, U.S.A. Built by charitable contributions

The building served as a Motherhouse for the Congregation and an orphanage.

Creator

Unknown

Source

Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy

Publisher

N/A

Date

1840-03-25

Contributor

Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy

Relation

N/A

Format

Granite

Language

English

Type

Physical Object

Coverage

Charleston (S. Carolina)

Citation

Unknown, “Cornerstone, the House of Our Lady of Mercy,” Sisters of Charity Federation Archives, accessed May 24, 2024, https://scfederationarchives.org/items/show/134.

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Document Viewer

Geolocation