Sisters of Charity Federation Archives

Rosemarie Lakra, SCN Oral History




Rosemarie Lakra, SCN 

Born on September 15, 1937, in Sirsi village and Katkahi parish, in Ranchi 
diocese  and  district,  I,  Celestina  Lakra,  am  the  fourth  child  of  my  father, 
Patras  Lakra  and  mother,  Louisa  Xalxo.  We  were seven girls and one boy. 
In  the  order  of  birth  they  are  Albertina,  (later  Sister  Agatha),  Alexius, 
Anasthasia,  Celestina,  Mary  Constantina,  Anna  Rosalia,  Albina  Julita  and 
Henerietta.  The  second  youngest  girl,  Albina  Julita,  died  when  she  was 
three  years  old.  My  good  Catholic  parents  saw  to  it  that  we  had  daily 
prayers  and  attended  Mass  whenever  possible.  My father was trained as a 
Cathechist and a teacher.  We were a middle class joint family.  My brother, 
Alexius,  married  young and had three children.  There was a severe famine 
in  the  early  1950s.  One  after  the  other,  many calamities such as death of 
cattle  and  horses,  failing  family  business,  and  a  theft  took  place  in  our 
family.  Suddenly,  like  Job  in  the  Bible,  we  lost  everything  and  we  became 
very poor.  Alexius, my beloved brother died on July 31, 1957 and his three 
children  died  within a short span of one and a half years.  My sister-in-law 
married  again  and  moved  out  of  my  home.  She,  too,  died  in  1961.  My 
cousin brother also died during this time.   
My  eldest  sister,  Albertina,  a  trained  teacher,  after  working  for  four  years, 
joined  the  Ursuline  Sisters.  My  sisters,  Anasthasia,  Mary  Constantina, 
Anna Rosalia and Henerietta are married.  
Due  to  financial  difficulties,  my  parents  found  it  difficult  to  provide  an 
education  for  me.  I  went  to  the  Mahuadanr  parish  primary  school  which 
had  classes  only  up  to  Class  V.  With  financial  help  from  the  Mahuadanr 
parish  priest,  I  studied  up  to  Class  VII  at  St.  Teresa’s  School  run  by  the 
Holy Cross Sisters.  There was no high school close by, nor road or buses to 
commute.  The  only  high  school  was  the  Ursuline  Convent  Girls’  High 
School  in  Gumla,  five  days  walk  away.  I  had  a  great  desire  to  study  and 
against my parents' wishes I went to that school for my studies.  Each year, 
I  had  to  face  obstacles  but  I  managed to finish my matriculation (Class XI) 
in the year 1957.  
The Holy Cross Sisters invited me to join them and the Ursulines invited me 
to study in their college.  Finally with the help of my uncle, a Jesuit priest, I 
was  able  to  continue  my  studies  at Xavier’s College staying at the Ursuline 
convent hostel.  Because of ill health, I was not able to complete the college. 
I also had a desire to become a nurse and so I went to Holy Family Hospital 
in Mandar, Ranchi, for General Nursing.  I did the Midwifery from Kurji Holy 

Family  Hospital,  Patna  and  I  returned  to  Mandar  Holy  Family  Hospital.  I 
worked  full-time  there  for  one  and  a  half  years  before  joining  the  SCN 
No  Sisters  were  in our parish until I was in Class IV.  When the Daughters 
of St. Anne came to our parish in Rajawal, the villagers waited for them with 
garlands.  I also joined them in welcoming and garlanding the Sisters.  As I 
saw them, I felt like some current passing through my body, possibly a sign 
for  my  desire  to  become  a  religious.  I  grew  up  keeping  that longing in my 
As good Christians, my parents had deep faith and they were very prayerful. 
They  influenced  me  very much.  While I was working as a nurse, I met one 
of  my  classmates  who  was  joining  the  Ursuline  Sisters  in  Ranchi.  From 
then  on,  my  inner  voice  began  to  push  me  and  I  heard  a  voice  telling  me, 
"Go  right  now,  and  do  not  delay".  Soon after that, I sought the advice of a 
priest who suggested to me that I join a group of Sisters in the Ranchi area. 
I  declined  to  follow  this  advice because I wanted to go to a far place.  Then 
he  began  to  name  some  of  the  Congregations  to  which  I  kept  saying  “no”, 
until I heard him say SCN Congregation.  To that I said “yes”, though I had 
no idea about this particular Congregation.  I, being a nurse and the Sisters 
having  a  hospital,  I  thought  that  I  would  fit  in  with  them  well.  As  I  look 
back, it was God’s Spirit who helped me to choose the SCN Congregation.   
When  some  priests  and  Sisters  heard  that  I  was  going  to  join  the  SCN 
Congregation in Mokama, they discouraged me with the information that all 
the  Sisters  there  were  from  South  India.  They  frightened  me  saying  that, 
"You  will be the only one from Ranchi" and in reply I said, "Well, if I have a 
real vocation for God's service and mission, I will face it and go ahead.  God 
will give me the grace." 
I  travelled  alone  and  reached  Mokama  on  August  2, 1965.  As I met Sister 
Lawrencetta  I  knew  Mokama  was  the  right  place  for  me.  I  worked  until 
October  at  Nazareth  Hospital.  On  December  27,  1965,  I  entered  the 
postulancy  with  four  other  candidates  who  had  also  finished  their  nurses' 
training.  One of the candidates, Thankamma Xavier, a trained teacher from 
Kerala, who had arrived just before me also entered postulancy with us.   
One  of  my  happiest  moments  was  receiving  the  holy  religious  habit  and 
experiencing  the  hair  cutting  ceremony  on  the  previous  night  of  July  19, 
1966,  our  vestition  day.  I  felt  that I sacrificed my hair, offered my life and 
my  all  for  the  service  of  God's  people.  Many  Sisters  asked  me  to keep my 

maiden name, Celestina.  I told them that if I am changing my way of life, I 
would  also  like  to  change  my  name.  I  was  given  the  name,  Sister 
Rosemarie.  Teresa  Rose  Nabholz,  SCN  was  our  postulant  and  novice 
director.  During the last three months of our novitiate, Patricia Mary Kelley, 
SCN  took care of us since Sister Teresa Rose was appointed as the regional 
The six of us took our First Vows on July 19, 1968.  I experienced great joy 
as  I  was  giving  myself  totally  to  God.  We  had  a  few months of a juniorate 
program  in  Ranchi.  I  took  some  art  classes  in  drawing,  painting  and 
making  baskets  from  bamboo  and  cane  at  Yogada  Mutt,  a  Hindu  ashram, 
opposite to our convent.   
As  a  Sister,  I  was  happy  to  be  assigned  to  Nazareth Hospital from October 
1968  where  I  worked  in  the  public  health  department.  I  prepared  visual 
aids  like  health  charts  for  teaching  the  public.  I  also  went  with  other 
student  nurses  to  visit  the  villages.  We  walked  to  the  nearby  villages  and 
used a vehicle to reach the far off villages.  The most common diseases that 
we  treated  were  diarrhoea,  dysentery,  fever,  cold,  cough,  typhoid, 
tuberculosis,  leprosy,  scabies,  anaemia,  etc.  Miss  Mary  Paul,  an 
experienced nurse who studied in Mokama was our supervisor and was very 
good to all of us.  Whenever we got an emergency call of a cholera out-break, 
we immediately rushed to the area with vaccine and other medicines.  Every 
month  we visited a mission station of Patna Diocese to attend to the health 
needs  of  the  people  extending  up  to  the  border  of  Nepal  in  North  Bihar. 
Most of these mission stations did not have a dispensary or religious Sisters 
to attend to the sick at that time.  
As  a  young  Sister,  in  June  1969,  I  was  chosen  to  be  with  Sisters  Ann 
Roberta Powers and Anne Philip Gnavally to begin a new mission in Chatra. 
We  had  a  large  rocky compound and in the cool of the evening, we enjoyed 
sitting on rocks to pray together. We named our house, Nazareth Niketan.   
Initially  we  had  only  three  rooms  with  an  asbestos  roof.  We  used  one  of 
those rooms as our living quarters.  The Blessed Sacrament was kept in the 
tabernacle in one corner with a kerosene lamp and it was partitioned with a 
curtain.  Our  personal  belongings  as  well  as  the  household  articles  were 
kept  in  the  same  room.  For  dining,  we  used  a  folding  table.  The  bathing 
room  and  toilet  were  outside.  There  was  a  small  outside  room  which  we 
used as our kitchen, cooking on firewood. 

We  visited  the  people  in  the  villages  to  encourage  them  to  send all of their 
children to school but they were interested in educating only their sons.  We 
persuaded  them  to  educate their daughters also by saying unless you send 
your  girls  to  school  we  will  not  admit  your  boys.  On  July  8,  we  formally 
opened  the  new  school  and  named  it  Nazareth  Vidya  Niketan.  On  the 
opening day we had thirty-six children for pre-primary and Class I.  We used 
the  two  rooms  and  the  veranda  for  conducting  the  classes.  All three of us 
taught in the school.   
One  day,  Sister  Ann  Roberta  began  to  bleed  heavily  from  her  nose  and we 
were  frightened  and  did  not  know  how  to  prevent  it.  I  gave  her  first  aid, 
then  gave  an  injection  and  finally  the  bleeding  was  controlled.  Every  now 
and then she had the same problem.  We had no hospitals close by and we 
did not know any doctor in the locality.  There were no travel facilities except 
an occasional bus service.  We were so happy to see the Gaya jeep stopping 
by  one  day.  Sister  Ann  Roberta  travelled  with  them  for  a  check-up  and 
treatment in Mokama.  
Once  when  Sister  Ann  Roberta had gone to Gaya for some school work, we 
heard  a  tiger  roaring  close  to our house during the night.  Anne Philip was 
not aware of it, though our beds were close by.  I woke her up and asked her 
if  she  had  heard  the  sound.  She  said  that  some  cow  must  be making the 
noise.  I  told  her  it  was  a tiger roaring and she responded, "Oh, tiger” and, 
unperturbed, she went back to sleep. 
From  Chatra,  ​I  went  to  Lady  Reading  Hospital  in  Delhi  ​for  a  year  of 
community health nursing in 1970.  ​When ​I returned to Chatra to continue 
the  same  ministry,  I  was  asked  to  do  the pastoral ministry for which there 
was a great need.  To prepare for the same I went to Tongo in Ranchi diocese 
for  catechetical  training.  SCNs  Mary  Juliana  Tuti  and  Ann  Moylan  were 
with me for the same training.  It was not easy for me to give up the nursing 
profession to take up the pastoral ministry as a full-time job.  I experienced 
an inner struggle of being pulled between the two ministries.  Besides, many 
of our Sisters were not convinced why a qualified nurse had to be in pastoral 
ministry.  The hospital community would have liked me to serve at Nazareth 
Hospital.  Sisters  Ann  Roberta  and  Teresa  Rose  supported  me  in  my 
decision.  Finally,  I  became  the  first  and  only  full-time  pastoral  Sister  in 


We  were  very  happy  and  felt  privileged  to have our Mother General, Lucille 
Russell  visit  Chatra mission in October 1971.  Since we had only one room 

for  everything  and  as  we  were  playing  cards  together,  Mother  Lucille  said 
that  she  had never experienced eating, playing, sleeping, recreating, etc. all 
in front of the Blessed Sacrament.  We all had a good laugh.  Along with my 
companions, I made my Final Vows on July 2, 1972 in Mokama.   
We  had  CRS  (Catholic  Relief  Services)  'food  for  work'  supplies  for 
developmental  work.  We also distributed some of the warm clothes we had 
gathered  to  the  people.  We  visited  the  homes  of  the  students  as  well  as 
other houses in the villages, taking care of the sick and suffering.  We meant 
a  great  deal  to  the  people  and  they  approached  us  whenever  they  were  in 
any need, during day or night. I enjoyed my five years of ministry in Chatra.   
People used to gather in someone’s house when any priest from Hazaribagh 
came  to  offer  Mass  and  administer  Sacraments.  Chatra  parish  with  a 
resident  priest  was  not  established  until  1974.  From  the  time  we  were  in 
Chatra  we  took  care  of  all  the  spiritual  and  other  needs  of  the  people 
including the burial services for the dead.  All three of us had permission to 
distribute Holy Communion to the people.  Each Sunday, we had ​gaon girja 
(village  church)  para-liturgical  services  with  the  people.  Once  in  a  while a 
priest  from  Hazaribagh  would  come  to  offer  Mass  and  consecrate  enough 
hosts for the following weeks.  
My  third  assignment  was  to  pioneer  a  new  mission  house  in  Sale, 
Mahuadanr  in  1974  along  with  SCNs  Jean  Kulangara,  Marianne  Puthoor. 
Teresa  Rose  Nabholz,  SCN,  regional  superior,  accompanied  us  on  our  long 
journey.  For  the  blessing  and  inauguration  of  the  new  mission,  a  huge 
crowd  of  more  than  3,000  people  gathered  on  October  13,  1974.  Most 
Reverend  George  Saupin,  SJ,  the  bishop  of  Daltonganj,  officiated  at  the 
Eucharistic  celebration.  As  Sister  Teresa  Rose  and  our  guests  left  we  felt 
lonely  and  held  on  to  each  other  and  wept.  Mahuadanr,  which  had  no 
paved roads in those days, was our farthest village mission.   
In  the  beginning,  we  taught  in  the  Jesuit  village  school  along  with  doing 
medical  and  pastoral  work.  We  were  not  very  familiar with the area so we 
did  not  know  how  to  get  to  places.  We  helped with the retreat for Class X 
girls  in  the ​gaon girja near our convent.  One night as we were taking back 
the  Blessed  Sacrament  to  the  parish  through  the  fields  we  lost  our  way. 
After  walking  for  a  long  distance,  we  noticed  a  light  and  thought  we  had 
arrived at the parish.  We chuckled when we found out that it was our own 
house  where  the  village  girls  were  practicing  a  dance  for  the  harvest  feast 
Mass.  After a year of our being there, a resident priest was appointed to the 

In April 1975, Father Phil Crotty, SJ, the parish priest of Mahuadanr asked 
me  if  I  could  do  some  medical  relief  work  in  Sabagh village on top of a hill 
where many people were affected by a rare disease.  Many lives were lost in 
that area and some of the villages had not a single person living.  Many had 
to  go  on  foot  for  treatment  to  the  only  medical  facility  in  the  area,  the 
Carmel  Hospital  in  Mahuadanr,  run  by  the  Carmelite  Sisters  from  Kerala. 
The  doctors  could  not  discover  what  was  causing  the  many  deaths.  The 
Carmel  Sisters  had  taken  a  few  patients  to  ‘All  India  Medical  Science 
Hospital' in Delhi for investigation and treatment.  Since they had no Sisters 
to accompany me to the villages, I went with a girl as my companion to stay 
in  that  village.  Father  Crotty  came  with  us  with  food  supplies  and 
medicines provided by CRS.  Father also carried the Blessed Sacrament with 
him.  The people gave us an empty house in which to stay.  I made a place 
for the Blessed Sacrament in one corner of the room.  Every month, a team 
of  medical  personnel  from  the  hospital  came  to  the  villages  to  treat  the 
people.  For  four  months  I  stayed  in  that  village  to  look  after  the  patients 
and  feed  the  people.  They  were  instructed  not  to  eat  any  food  other  than 
what we provided because no one knew the cause of the many deaths.  The 
epidemic  drew  the  attention  of  the  central  government  in  Delhi  and 
supported the untiring efforts of the doctors and Sisters at Carmel Hospital. 
Research points to the toxic seed of the Gondli grain (a type of millet) being 
the cause of the epidemic. The poor of the region use the grain for food.   
In  1975,  the  first  parish priest, Father Barry, SJ, two catechists and I took 
interest  in  the  Birjias,  a  primitive  tribe  who  were  very  poor  and  illiterate. 
After  five  years  of  our  contact  and religious instructions, we had a Mass in 
the  village  with  Baptism,  marriage  blessing  and  Confirmation.  Now  they 
have  a  parish  of  their  own  in  their  area.  Children are being educated and 
they  have  improved  economically.  One  of  them  is  with  us,  Sushila  Telra, 
I  stayed  in  the  villages  with  the  catechists  for  a  couple  of  days  at  a  time. 
Every  evening,  we  gathered  different  groups  of  people,  youth,  women  and 
men,  separately.  We  prayed  with  them  and  had  discussions  about  their 
problems  and  what  they  could  do  together  to  solve  them.  We  organised 
various  groups  such  as  Sodality  for  youth and Catholic ​Sabha (council) for 
people  in  general  and  ​Mahila (​ women) Sangh  (group)  for  women  to  deepen 
their  faith.  We  also  conducted  retreats  for  them  from  time  to  time.  I was 
appointed  coordinator  of  the  Catholic  Women's  Group  in  the  deanery  and 
the Daltonganj Diocese.  I was one of the three religious Sisters appointed as 
consult members of the diocese.   

In  1980  I  was  sent  to  Bakhtiarpur  Community  Health  Centre  to  conduct 
programs such as 'mother and child health', school health, village out-reach, 
home visits and vaccination at the centre, schools and in the villages.  I also 
helped  to conduct deliveries and to take night on-calls at the centre for two 
In  1982,  I  went  to  Sudeep, Bangalore for a three-month renewal.  After the 
renewal,  Sister  Marietta  Saldanha,  SCN,  the  coordinator  of  Sudeep,  asked 
me to help out in the day-to-day running of the place and I stayed there for 
seven months.   
The  royal  family  members  and  other  well  to  do  people  of  Nepal  sent  their 
children  to  study  in  Darjeeling,  India,  where  there  were  good  Catholic 
schools.  Because  of  the  quality  education  they  received  in  Darjeeling,  in 
1950,  King  Mahendra  of  Nepal  invited  the  Jesuits  of  Patna  to  open  an 
English  medium  boarding  school  in  Kathmandu.  The  Jesuits  in  turn, 
invited  the  IBMV  (Institute  of  the  Blessed  Virgin  Mary) Sisters, now known 
as  CJ,  (Congregation  of  Jesus)  to  begin  an  all  girls’  school  in  a  property 
adjacent  to  theirs.  That  was  the  beginning  of  Catholic  presence  in  Nepal. 
The  two  boarding  schools  were  known  as  St.  Xavier’s  and  St.  Mary’s 
respectively.  There  was  no  other  Catholic  presence  in  the  whole  of  Nepal 
before the SCNs were invited to Nepal by the Jesuits in 1979. 
When  I  was  called  to  discern  for  the  mission  in  Nepal,  Sister  Margaret 
Rodericks,  provincial,  told  me  that  there  were  some  Tribal  Catholics  of 
Indian  origin  in  East  Nepal  who  were,  “like  sheep  without  a  shepherd.” 
Since  the  SCNs  had  not  yet  gone  to  East  Nepal,  I  joined  the  Kathmandu 
community in January 1983 to learn Nepali and to get to know the people’s 
culture.  SCNs  were  in  discernment  to  move  to  East  Nepal  from  Godavari 
and Kathmandu at the request of Father Cap Miller, SJ, the episcopal vicar 
to  Nepal.  In  February  1983, SCNs Anne Marie Thayilchirayil, Ann Murphy 
from the US, Jean Kulangara and Tara Ekka moved to East Nepal.  For four 
months,  staying  with  Joel  Urumpil,  SCN,  in  Kathmandu  I  attended  a 
training  program  to  work  with  the  mentally  handicapped  children.  I  also 
had an attack of pneumonia so I stayed in Kathmandu for a few more weeks 
to recover.   
Wanting to wind up her pastoral ministry in Kathmandu, Sister Joel stayed 
a  few  more  months  before  we  moved  to  Dharan.  Joel  wanted  to  set  up  a 
dispensary  and  do  some  developmental  work  among  the people in Dharan. 
Since  that  was  not  feasible,  Joel  and  I  went  to  a  village  in  Damak  where 

there were many Indian Tribal Catholics working in the tea gardens.  I began 
my  pastoral  ministry  with  them  and  discovered  there  were  many  more  tea 
gardens  in  East  Nepal  with  a  Catholic  population.  They  consisted  of 
Uraons,  Santhals,  Mundas  and  Kharias  who had migrated to Nepal several 
decades  ago.  People  used  to  live  in  small  mud  huts  around  the  gardens. 
They  came  together  every  Sunday to pray and had the ​gaon girja without a 
priest.  Occasionally  a  priest  came  from  Purnia  parish  from  neighbouring 
India to offer Mass.  Once in a while, Reverend Cap Miller from Kathmandu 
also  came  for  Mass.  Whenever  we  had  the  Mass,  plenty  of  hosts  were 
consecrated  for  distribution  during  the  para-liturgical  services.  I  prepared 
the  people  for  different  sacraments.  Whenever  we  had  Mass,  the  priest 
administered the sacraments in each of these places.  I began to keep family 
records  of  all  the  people  who  received  the  Sacraments.  When  I  stayed 
overnight  in  the  villages,  they  were  very  hospitable  and  gave  me  their  best 
corner in the room.  I slept on a burlap mat on the floor which was cleaned 
with fresh cow-dung, not yet dry.   
On Ash Wednesdays, I prepared ashes from burning the coconut leaves and 
blessed it to take to the people in the villages and the tea gardens to remind 
them that it's the special season of Lent for prayer, sacrifice, confession and 
reconciliation, etc.   
One Holy Thursday, the priest could not come for the services.  We ourselves 
conducted the services of the day with washing of the feet of six men and six 
women,  a  custom  that  did  not  exist  in  the  Catholic  Church  at  that  time. 
Whenever  a  priest  was  available  during  the  Holy  Week,  we  had  Masses  in 
four different tea gardens on Holy Saturday.   
SCNs  Anne  Marie  and Ann Murphy were in Ilam, in the hills and Jean and 
Sarita  Manavalan were based in Dharan.  When Father Miller came to offer 
Mass  in  Damak,  we  got  the  opportunity  to  visit  our  Sisters  in  Dharan.  In 
Dharan we also went to the British camp for Mass with Father Miller.   
After Joel and I began taking serious patients to the Dharan camp hospital, 
I  got  a  free  pass  to  enter  the  camp  any  day.  The  matron  of  the  hospital, 
Miss  Stella  Mary,  became  friendly  with  us  and  she  took  good  care  of  our 
patients.  She  also  liked  to  stay  with  us  in  Damak  during  her  breaks. 
Whenever  I  was  home  in  Damak,  I  helped  Joel  with  home  deliveries  and 
literacy work.  
One  of  my  deep  faith  experiences  is  that  whenever  people were in any dire 
need, God took me to be with them.  This was especially true when someone 

became seriously ill, near death or in any other trouble.  I also helped them 
financially  from  the  travel  money  I  got  from  Father  Miller.  Many  of  them 
returned that money with gratitude.  I worked for six years in Damak.  I am 
proud  to  hear that now in each of those six places, there is a parish with a 
resident  priest  and  several  groups  of  religious  Sisters  are  working  among 
In  May 1986, I was assigned back to Nazareth Hospital in Mokama to work 
with  Sister Lucia Thuluvanickel and Reverend Dan Rice, SJ in the spiritual 
care  department.  For  the  first  time,  SCNs  had  established  a pastoral care 
department in the hospital.  In January 1987, Sister Mary Lynn Fields, SCN, 
helped  us  to  make  a  mission  statement  and  goals  for  the  spiritual  care 
department.  Our mission was to care for the total well-being of the patients 
and  their  family  members,  staff,  students,  employees,  criminals, 
drug-addicts,  alcoholics,  and  whoever  was  in  need.  This  experience  really 
was very enriching for my own personal growth. 
When there was a crisis in our Barauni mission I was one of the Sisters who 
was  asked  to  go for the flood relief work to Khagaria and Mansi for a week. 
We  had  lost  Sandhya  Baxla,  SCN,  during  the  flood  relief  work  in  Mansi  in 
August 1986.  
On  the  night  of  the  first  death  anniversary  of  Sandhya,  there was a rather 
major  earthquake  in  which  many  houses  and  properties  were  destroyed in 
North  Bihar.  The  administrator,  Sister  Bridget Kappalumakal, SCN, asked 
me  to  join  the  Catholic  Health  Association  of India group from Patna along 
with our health personnel to do relief work in Darbhanga for a week.   
I  coordinated  the  regular  8.30 am Masses and Holy Hour on Fridays in the 
hospital.  I  counselled  the  patients  both  at  their  bedside  and  in  my  office. 
Patients  were  extremely  happy  with  the  over-all  healing  they  experienced 
within  themselves.  All these experiences brought me closer to God and the 
In 1989, I was transferred to Sokho, a remote village mission in Bihar.  I was 
the coordinator of the house and in-charge of the pastoral and medical care. 
I also enjoyed gardening and cultivation.  Most of the time, the parish priest 
was  out  of  station  and  I  took  care  of  the  pastoral  needs  of  the  people.  In 
visiting  the  families in the villages I reached out to both the Christians and 
the  non-Christians,  alike.  I  prepared  the  married  couples  in  rectifying the 
inter-religious  marriages  and  brought  them  to  the  Catholic  fold.  I  also 
conducted  retreats  for  the  people  to  deepen  their  faith.  By  being  with  the 

people  I  learnt  the  customs, practices and their language, Santali.  We had 
two distinct groups of people to minister to, the Santhals and the Kharwars, 
a  very  primitive  group.  In  order  to  accommodate  both  groups,  we  had 
Sunday Masses either in Hindi or Santali.  
While  the  Bhagalpur  diocese  was  building  a  concrete  house  for  us,  we 
stayed  in  the  dispensary  as  our  mud-house  was  demolished.  After  the 
blessing  and  inauguration  of  the  new  house,  Nazareth  Sadan,  by  Most 
Reverend Bishop Saupin in January 1993, the Sisters, the parish priest and 
a priest from Belatanr mission, drove me to Mandair for my next mission.   
Mandair  is  situated  in  a  coal  mine  area.  We  stayed  in  a  village  house  in 
Manjalitard  away  from  the  parish  and  the  main  road.  I  worked  as  the 
pastoral Sister in the parish, helped in the small dispensary and also taught 
in  the  school,  according  to  the  need.  Various  Tribal  groups  had  migrated 
and  settled  there.  With  their varied backgrounds it was not easy for me to 
work  among  them.  At  this  time,  many  problems cropped up in our parish 
and  it  was  about  to  be  closed  down.  We  conducted  several  meetings  with 
the  people  and  at  the  end  it  was  decided  that  they  wanted  the  parish  to 
Seeing  our  struggle  to  reach  different  villages  with  no  proper  road,  the 
parish  priest,  Reverend  M.D.  Abraham,  asked  the  SCN  provincial  whether 
the  Sisters  would  like  to  move  closer  to  the  parish.  He  gave  us  an  option 
that  the  parish  would  exchange  our  land  with  theirs  to  give  us  a  more 
suitable site near the road.  A concrete building was made for dispensary in 
the new place while we lived in Manjalitard village.   
In  1996​,  I  was  transferred  to  Biharsharif  for  pastoral  ministry.  Besides 
being coordinator of the community I took care of the hostel girls and taught 
Moral  Science  in  the  parish  school.  I also visited the nearby villages alone 
and  the  catechist  accompanied  me  to  go  to  the  far  off  villages  for  Mass.  I 
took  care  of  the  Catholic  women's  group  in  the  parish.  Biharsharif  was  a 
challenging mission for me as I did not get the needed cooperation from the 
parish priest.   
In 1999, from May to October, I helped out in the '​kishori' (​ adolescent girls) 
training program in Almora. After the training was completed I came back 
once again to the Spiritual Care department at Nazareth Hospital, Mokama. 
The hospital had no chaplain and I had to depend on the parish priest for 
Mass and Sacraments. When the hospital took the initiative to begin a ward 
to care for the HIV/AIDS afflicted persons in collaboration with the 

government and other NGOs in 2003, I took a counselling course in 
HIV/AIDS in Mumbai, Maharashtra in 2008 to work with them.   
Through  the  spiritual care department, I was privileged to serve all types of 
patients  and  their  relatives  until  the  decision  was  made  that  certain 
departments  of  the  hospital  would  be  closed  temporarily  from  June  2012. 
Sisters  Philomena  Kottoor,  vice-provincial,  and  Usha  Saldanha,  the 
administrator,  officially  asked  me  to  resign  from  the  hospital  in  August 
2012.  After having spent a total of sixteen and a half years in the spiritual 
care department it was very painful for me to move out of the hospital.  I felt 
my gifts in bringing healing and solace to the sick would be wasted away.  In 
fact,  I  felt  a  kind  of  uselessness  within  me,  belonging  neither  in  the 
community  nor  in  the  hospital.  It  took  me  some  time  to  overcome  those 
feelings  and  move  on  in  life.  I  continue  to  reside  at  Ashirvad  South 
community  in  the  hospital  campus.  I  like  to  work  in  the vegetable garden 
and  keep  myself  busy  with  the  visitors  who  come  to  our  house. 
Occasionally  I  am  called  to  the  hospital  for  counselling  patients  and 
continue  to  take  care  of  the  hospital chapel and the weekly Mass and Holy 
Ever  since  I  entered  the  community  in  1965,  I  have  been  happy  working 
with  people  of  many  different  languages  and  cultures.  I was well accepted 
by them.  I experienced God's presence, grace and blessings with me always. 
I  have  the  satisfaction  of  having  had  good  and successful ministries.  I am 
very  happy  that  God  helped  me  and  directed  me  to  enter  the  SCN 
Congregation and I am proud to be an SCN.   
In  my  fifty  years  of  religious  life,  God  has  walked  with  me  very  closely.  I 
recall  the  many  experiences  of  Jesus  being  with me and accompanying me 
from village to village, one tea garden to the next and from person to person 
wherever I went.  It was an assurance that Jesus is using me to carry on His 
mission here and now.  
I  am  so  very  grateful  to  my  God  and  my  community  for  giving  me  many 
opportunities  to  be  in  varied  ministries  and  places.  I  am  lost  for words to 
thank  God  enough  for  the  support,  encouragement  and  deep  trust  the 
community leadership has placed in me.   
Religious  life  is  a total self-giving and an offering of ourselves to God in the 
service  of  people.  In  living  out  my  vows, I lived a life of commitment, deep 
faith  and  brought  many  people  close  to  God.  I  have  always  tried  to  be 
faithful  to  God  and  my  community.  My  religious  life  is  based  on  prayer, 

sacraments,  deep  faith  and  trust  in  Christ and Mother Mary.  They are my 
source of life itself and from whom I draw constant strength and courage.   
Now  I  spend  a  good  bit  of  my  time  in  prayer  and  I  pray  very  specially  for 
each  Sister  and  her  family, needs of the Congregation, people in formation, 
Church and the world. 
Rosemarie Lakra, SCN   
Consent given orally to publish the story on August 16, 2017   


Dublin Core


Rosemarie Lakra, SCN Oral History


Lakra, Rosemarie, SCN; Sisters of Charity of Nazareth


SCN Archival Center


SCN Archival Center




Permission for any type of publication of archival materials, including text, photographs, video, or audio must be secured from the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth Archival Center before publication. Contact archives staff for appropriate forms and contact information.






Oral History



Oral History Item Type Metadata


Rosemarie Lakra, SCN (Self-Interview)




SCN Archival Center , “Rosemarie Lakra, SCN Oral History,” Sisters of Charity Federation Archives, accessed June 25, 2024,


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Document Viewer